Analytics cookies are used to track what pages on the website you visit.
The sauce is lovely and creamy and can be used as an every day meal or a dinner party
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium brown onion sliced
1 leek sliced
100 ml whisky
570 ml chicken stock
100 ml double cream
salt and pepper
2 potaotes peeled and sliced Potato Lyonnaise
1/2 medium onion sliced Potato Lyonnaise
1 knob butter Potato Lyonnaise
150 ml chicken stock Potato Lyonnaise
1 carrot diced Pickled vegetables
1 turnip diced Pickled vegetables
200 ml cider vinegar Pickled vegetables
8 black pepper corns Pickled vegetables
1 clove garlic sliced Pickled vegetables
1/4 onion sliced Pickled vegetables
3 sprigs fresh thyme chopped Pickled vegetables
1 tsp white sugar Pickled vegetables
250 ml water Pickled vegetables
1. Oven setting 180°C / Mark 4 Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan and brown the pheasant on all sides. Place the pheasant breast down in an ovenproof casserole.
2. Cook the sliced leek and sliced onions in the same frying pan for 2 minutes. Add the whisky and stock, bring to the boil and add to the casserole. Transfer to the pre-heated oven and braise with the lid on for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to rest for a further 5 minutes.
3. Strain the casserole liquid into a saucepan, cook down until reduced by half, then add the double cream and continue cooking until the sauce is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon. Season with salt, pepper and more whisky to taste. Joint the pheasant as shown and add the sauce.
4. Potato Lyonnaise Gently fry the sliced onion in vegetable oil and set aside. Grease the insides of two ramekins with butter and fill with alternate layers of potato and onion, seasoning with salt and pepper. Fill up to just below the rim. Add chicken stock and transfer to the oven at the same setting for 30 minutes or so until tender.
5. Pickled vegetables Place all the ingredients except the carrot and turnip in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the diced carrot and turnip and cook until tender then drain.